Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Suck on this (aka SSC Reviews)

   Superman vs. the Elite is the most recent of the excellent series of DC Animated features released on DVD.  I haven't (yet) read the story that served as its basis "What's so funny about Truth, Justice and the American Way" so I can't say how close the storyline to the animated feature is to the original comic story. Nonetheless it addresses a lot of the things we hear about Superman.  Why just lock villains up for them to escape and hurt more people when you could easily take them out.  Superman is a boring character, he's just a big blue boy scout.  I have said all these things and more, I daresay most comic book readers have.  The last time I really cared about Superman was when they killed him.  This story showed that good, ole Kal-El still has a little twinkle in his eye and a bit of a dark side.  The right writer/story can put a fresh spin on a character we all thought of as dated and one-note. 
   The story echoes both the Authority and Kingdom Come, where a new group of heroes, the Elite come on the scene and dont hold to the same code as Superman, they kill people, they get involved in political situations, they have vices, etc.  Much like the Authority they travel in a huge, living, possibly sentient ship that travels through dimensions.  Like the authority they also put the world on notice, they dont care about political structures, if you are doing evil they are coming for you.  The immediate popularity of this new, no holds barred group causes Superman to question his way of doing things.  I wont spoil things but suffice it to say once the Elite and Superman come to realize their differences and no amount of talking is going to sway the others point of view, it gets real physical, real quick.  The battle that takes place made my jaw drop and ask if I was really seeing what I saw. 
   I dont want to spoil the details since I highly recommend you go see this DVD now, NOW!! what are you still reading this for, GO! 
   Also like most DC Animated features this one includes a preview of the next feature coming up.  I dont want to spoil that suprise either but I am AMPED to see it. It comes out in two parts so I have my money set aside right now.
   Questions, Comments, Think this review sucks?  Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I recently saw it and really enjoyed it. DC crushes with its animated movies. Marvel, I mean Disney, needs to get its act together with the superhero animated films.

    ReplyDelete