Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sh!t Just Got Real (aka SSC Project Updates)

The artist I'm working with for my next project (loosely titled 'The Quest') emailed my his character sketches. I'm always psyched to see artwork produced from anything I've written and this time was no different. Below are the images and some of my initial thoughts. They're not the final designs so I feel comfortable posting them here for everyone to see (and comment on). . .


Dane is one of the two main characters. He's a Hunter Baron (something like a guardian/bounty hunter) from another world (surprise!). I love the armor and the stoic nature of his design. I pictured him with a cape (maybe an off-center short cape like Captain Marvel or PG) and will request one be added. After reviewing my description I realized I didn't mention a cape. I'm really not surprised one wasn't part of this design.


Mohawk is the other main character. She's a human who get's caught up ins some intergalactic nonsense. That's all I'll say now.  I'm not that happy with her design. For some reason she just doesn't jump out at me. I also wanted her to be less 'fit'. I had provided images of Storm (from the X-Men) in her punk/mohawk days and images of the WildStorm character Ladytron. The generally ideas are there but it just needs to be tweaked.


The Stalkers are the bad guys. Their planet has been in a seemingly endless war with Dane's planet. I'm really happy with this design. This is not what I had pictured when I was writing the script but I think this is so much better.
 
Tattoo is Mohawk's partner-in-crime so to speak. He doesn't play a pivotal role in the first issue but will be very important in the second. The character design is a little too 'superhero' for me. I really wanted a emo/punk rock guy. This is a little too Mortal Kombat.
Traitor is an alien disguised as a human.I didn't ask for much in my character description but this is spot on. 

Viktoria is a business woman and married mother of two who starts the book. She is attacked by a Stalker at Reagan National Airport. Dane tries to rescue her. I don't want to say any more. Again, this is spot on. The only thing I don't like is her nose. . .

2 comments:

  1. These concepts look great! I'm not sure I like the idea of a cape on Dane, though. I think his costume is very effective as is. Can't wait to get a look at this story.

    ReplyDelete